The Mill No. 1, a former cotton mill complex that opened in 1847, is now a mixed-use development housing apartments, restaurants, and office space. Renovations began in 2012 after developer Terra Nova Ventures LLC purchased the mill. The architecture team, Alexander Design Studio, has worked to keep the integrity and character of the building. Wire mesh was originally chosen for the signage based on the history of Mill No. 1. The mill was the largest producer in the world of cotton duck, used for many different applications like sailcloth and military tents. The tight weaves of wire mesh were intended to mimic the fabric Mill No. 1 was famous for. However, when Ashton Design came across Banker Wire’s M21Z-5 wire mesh it struck a chord with the design firm responsible for creating the mill’s new identity.